Reports to: Vice-President, Marketing and Communications
Purpose of Position
The Manager of Volunteer Engagement is responsible for leading the development and execution of the volunteer engagement strategy for the organization. This exciting opportunity supports a key strategic priority by helping to define and foster a truly volunteer centric culture. This position will focus on maximizing systems, programs and cross functional processes that focus on enhancing the experience for volunteers with a primary focus on community based volunteers.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Strategy and Development
- Work with the National Coordinator, Volunteer Engagement to develop annual plans to support overall volunteer engagement;
- Provide ongoing research and development in volunteer best practices for implementation aligned with Crohn’s and Colitis Canada strategy and business planning;
- Establish regular mechanisms to evaluate volunteer satisfaction and retention; develop and implement action plans for improvement;
- Act as a volunteer engagement champion for the organization;
- Help develop volunteer policies, and maintain and enhance processes and materials.
Program Development and Management
- Develop and manage activities to maximize volunteer satisfaction and engagement in support of business priorities;
- Oversee centralized community recruitment postings in response to gaps and priorities, and support local recruitment activities based on key needs as identified by regional teams;
- Ensure strong volunteer data processes and systems are in place and in alignment with overall strategic needs;
- Manage the tools to support volunteer orientation and training as well as oversee the online process for background and credit checks for specific volunteer roles using organization’s preferred vendor;
- Identify and lead implementation of key opportunities to enhance volunteer engagement including for community volunteer forums, conferences or other engagement events at regional or provincial levels (i.e. GUTS conferences either Regional or National);
- Manage effective volunteer recognition and appreciation initiatives including the awards program and inventory of volunteer recognition tools;
- Work in collaboration with the Marketing and Communications team to identify, develop and implement strong and effective volunteer communications;
- Implement evaluation tools and process for community volunteer programs related to recruiting, recognition, orientation and process effectiveness.
- Act as partner to the Regional team, to identify, diagnose and propose solutions to medium and longer-term issues;
- Ensure regular assessment of volunteer needs and expectations through relationship-building and ongoing communication with community leadership volunteers (i.e. leading quarterly Chapter President calls, etc.).
- Familiarity with best practices in volunteer engagement through completion of Volunteer Management certificate. Certification through CCVA or PAVRO an asset;
- More than 5 years of progressive Volunteer Engagement experience with a strong track record of achievement;
- Strong business sense and demonstrated ability to understand volunteer and business needs;
- Experience working in a multi-level charity, with significant lateral influence expertise;
- Experience working cross-functionally and in complex, matrix environments;
- Ability to position volunteers as important ambassadors and stakeholders;
- Strong stakeholder focus – assesses stakeholder needs through effective consultation;
- Strong customer service orientation;
- Able to adapt and have flexible styles for interacting with various types and levels of individuals;
- Excellent interpersonal and relationship building/management skills;
- High energy and ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously;
- Demonstrates outstanding leadership and ability to influence others at all levels;
- Advocates for change and inspires/motivates others;
- Superior communications skills (written and verbal);
- Incorporates integrity, discretion and critical thinking into decision-making;
- Acts as a visible and dynamic ambassador for Crohn’s and Colitis Canada with volunteers and in the broader community.
- Must have a valid driver's license and be able to travel extensively throughout Canada (5 -10%);
- Work from national office based in Toronto.
Crohn’s and Colitis Canada provides a competitive salary and benefits program, as well as a rewarding work environment. Interested applicants are asked to submit their resume and cover letter, including salary expectations, to firstname.lastname@example.org by February 14, 2018. Please quote "Manager, Volunteer Engagement" in the subject heading in your email reply.
We thank all applicants for their interest in a career at Crohn’s and Colitis Canada; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Crohn’s and Colitis Canada offers accommodation for applicants with disabilities in its recruitment processes. If you are contacted regarding a job opportunity, please advise if you require accommodation.